Monday, March 30, 2009

March 30th

Fossil Free Weekend?
Okay, I'd decided to go without any electricityfor Sunday. doing a whole utility, or more than one utility free day or weekend, seemed way too much. butrather than not do any, I decided one day without one utility. It didn't come out as planned but I learned a few things.

To keep myself busy during non-net, TV or other electric distractions, I'd planned to clean up mypatio, trim the overgrown stuff, and report about 15-20 aloes and put someflower cuttings from a neighbor in pots. the aloes stay in the back and theflowers--hearts and flowers is the name I think--were goingn to go mostly ontheh front porch.

BTW, my natural gas heat wasn't coming on except for early morning for a littlewhile since it's not so cold at night anymore.

To make a long story shorter, my sinuses were totally plugged from a change inweather and allergies Sunday so I gave in and made cereal on the stove so thewarmth from the cereal and coffee would make my head feel better. It always does ...I repented :) of my decision to use the electric stove though and stayed awayfrom electricty generally until sundown. I had just picked sunup to sundown formy electricity free hours.

I did get all the outside work done I'd intended! My lower back certainly knows I did something unusual yesterday. I also cleaned out some stuff--boxes--from my shed so there's room for things like water storage containers. I realized I had all kinds of nails in the shed wall already that I could hang things on. There are two wooden brackets already in the wall that I could put some kind of shelf on and put stuff on there.

so, I never got anything in the solar oven yesterday and cooked dinner the regular way but I got some things accomplished. I also learned I need a wind up clock or another battery powered one. and there will be another time to try again going without utilities ...

cheer,sheri in phoenix

No comments: