Friday, February 19, 2010

Back to regular routine

Back to my regular routine as of today.

My brother came into town on Monday from San Diego. He was originally going to drive in today but changed his mind and came Monday. He didn’t stay with me this time, this was better!

We had to make some decisions about personal property of my parents, pictures and some other estate related material. That went well; we made some decisions and let others go for a while. We were invited out to meet some old friends of his from grade school! These guys have kept in touch for almost 50 years. :)

Then, of course, my brother wanted to buy me dinner out which we did and he also picked up some subways one day for us to eat. Subway day was the day I decided to make a rice dish and vegetable soup so when he arrived with the sandwiches we had a lot to eat that lunch and those leftovers for dinner.

He took off on Thursday about noon. We had a good time but my plans for my vegetables kind of went out the window.

So, today I had to take stock of what was leftover and what was in the CSA batch I picked up Thursday afternoon. Actually, Wednesday noon is the scheduled time for veg pickup but the people who handle the distribution also have a regular office for their regular jobs in the hospital complex. So, when we miss a pickup day we can pickup the veggies Thursday or Friday. They have them bagged and in the fridge for us. This is very nice of them, I think!

I tried something Chile suggested for last week’s veggies—I had sweet potatoes--and it is quite good! My friend, S., also took some of the green I got last week. She liked the fennel and the dill quite a bit. I had two fennel then to use in the recipe below. I had dehydrated a lot of the fresh dill. I hadn’t done that before and I also haven’t really cooked with dill before.

Anyway, Chile’s suggestion was:
If you have any sweet potatoes left, a member gave me a very tasty recipe. Dice the sweet potatoes. Cut the fennel bottoms into bite-sized pieces. Toss both with a little oil, salt & pepper, and some tarragon. Roast until tender. It was very yummy for lunch yesterday. And, yes, I cooked it in the solar oven. :)

If you don't have any sweet potatoes left, try it with the carrots. Then serve with some kind of starch like pasta, potatoes, or rice. I suppose you could substitute dill for the tarragon, too, to use some of the dill.

Thanks for the ideas, Chile!

Peace to all , Shamba

3 comments:

Sharlene T. said...

Love you blog -- and, your avatar. It's a hard task you've just been through. My prayers are with you and hope you've been able to make yourself some nice comfort food...
I love Chile's site, too.

Shamba said...

well, a surpised post today!

thanks, Sharlene, for the post and the thoughts. I did have some comfort food and some chocolate as well. :)

peace to you,
shamba

Oh, yes, my avatar was made for me and I love it.

Chile said...

I'm glad it worked nicely with the dill!