Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Storms came but storms went ...

Black, thick low hanging clouds over the valley today. Foreacast said probabilities of off and on thunderstorms and rain throughout today with temps about 85degrees.

I had some errands to do so I plotted my route and started out . I didn't get very far before it started raining, then pouring then fogged up windows and thunder and lighning so I pulled over in an office parking lot to wait it out. I haven't done that in several years but I could not see anything for fogged windows and the rain.
then it started hailing, so I pulled the car around behind the building and some trees to keep the hail from hitting the car. About pea-sized hail, no damage but a lot of noise.

The parking lot was filling with water rapidly and the center of the lot was the low point and it was deep enough to have waves!

I must have waited 20-25 minutes before some rain let up and I could see how deep the water was ... about 6 inches but I didn't want to wait for another rain band to come. I put the defroster on to get rid of the fog, ran window wipers and proceeded to come home.

My house got a lot of rain but no damage but there are outtages and wind damage and who knows how many accidents all over town. Needless to say, I didn't get my errands run but the car isn't covered in dust anymore. Storms should move through by by early evening.

peace, shamba

1 comment:

Chile said...

We, unfortunately, have damage. Thanks to having to remove the deck roof (and the deck soon), driving rain now gets in under the aging door sweep. The carpet by the front door is ruined. The sweep will be replaced today, now that three days of 1.75 inches of rain (total) are over. *sigh*