Friday, February 18, 2011

My very own chiles ...

I haven’t written for a while but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been doing anything. I’m not sure how interesting it’s all been but just the daily stuff is keeping me busy.

When I went to make a chile, cheese and grits dish that I really like, I remembered that it needed green chiles. I’ve made the recipe without green chiles, but it’s pretty blah without them. I don’t usually think of cans of green chile to have on hand.

However, this morning I remembered I have my own chiles in the freezer. All those green chiles we got the end of last summer from the CSA were all prepared myself and put in the freezer for when I would need them. Of course, it was a good way to keep them from going bad as well.

So, this morning I pulled out my very own bag of frozen green chiles to use in this dish. I smiled with pleasure at the bag when I saw it. It’s a very tangible reward, if small, of learning all the things related to food storage, preservation and cooking I’ve been trying out the past couple of years. My very own chiles …

Peace, Shamba

1 comment:

Chile said...

Oh, they last a long time in the freezer. I always peeled and seeded them before freezing, though.

In fact, roasted green chiles were the inspiration for my online name. I adopted it shortly after purchasing 40 POUNDS of just-roasted chiles. It took me several days to peel and seed them all, but then I had 17 pounds of ready-to-eat chiles in my freezer.