Friday, July 18, 2008

July 18th Another solar cooking and food day and steamy outside

another low is coming from he Pacific so the dew point is high today.

Put pearled barley, just covered with water in a pot in the solar oven. Two hours later, and with the reflectors on because of some thin cloud cover, it's hot and steaming and smells rather good.
the reflectors really ramped up the temperature in the oven, too. 350 or so Fahrenheit. I hadn't really tried the reflectors before today. If the sun isn't strong enough to cook, I can always turn the electric low power on and that will do the cooking. I did this one day to finish up whatever I had cooking in there--potatoes I think.

Anyway, I checked out the Sprouts that's moved near me in the past 6 months. I got some Red winter Wheatberries, I'm curious about what you do with those. I also picked up some grits and some ground coriander in the bulk foods and spices area. They didn't actually have many beans but many different cereals and mixes for baking and cereals or snack--like granolas.
Priced the produce and meat which was quite reasonable. It's a little further to go for food than Safeway but it's a good additional store/option to shop I think.

My copy of the Joy of Cooking and my Ayurveda cookbook have gotten workouts the past few months with this cooking/food storage thing I'm into. And what surprises me is that I like doing it all.

cheers,
shamba

No comments: