Friday, July 11, 2008

Monsoon! .... and some updates ..some good some not ...

Wonderful Monsoon storm last night--actually it was more like 2-4 storms rolling through our area. It soaked the whole Valley quite well. We'll have very cloudy days and good possibilities of more storms--i say bring it on! Not too fast and too much at one time since it might flood the patio if that happens; but more storms I'm for!

guess I won't be using solar oven by itself the next few days but I can use the electrical backup; it still uses less energy and makes less heat that the inside oven. I love this thing!

And B. referred me to a parttime job at her law firm ... I've called about it. I have mixed feelings about working again at this time; I've got two more projects I'd really like to have done before I turn attention to job stuff again.

Mary Alice is moving to NJ in the next week. I'll miss her but I know she wants to go back to her NJ.

Other news from the past few days:

7-2- 143.67 oil

7-3-08 Opened at 144.40; closed at 145.29 markets closed early today

7-4-08

New recipe: Sarah thought I should be able to cook a frittata in my solar oven after she saw it on Saturday. She’s intrigued with the whole idea of solar ovens. So. I cooked a Frittata – used a recipe I’d had.. 2 eggs, leftover frozen vegetables, olive oil, salt & p. Put in one of the larger solar oven pans about 11:00 we’ll see how this works out since I’m not cooking it like an omelet in the first stages like you’re supposed to.

Managed stores for the week: Cleaned out all the old cleaning stuff and supplies underneath the kitchen and bathroom sinks—had too many old toothbrushes! Need more vinegar and bleach and some ammonia …

Went Linens Plus on way to Trader Joe’s and they had a lot of stuff on clearance. Treated myself to stainless steel measuring cups and a one cup measure all by itself. I have used up more 1 cup measures over the years and always have the other cup measures left.

July 10th

Food stores: Added some rice and more lentils; will need in a week or two, more coffee and oats.
Got some more backup dry food for the cats, too this week.

New food cooked in solar oven: Roasted ears of corn in the solar oven.

7-11-08 News on financial and economic is pretty dismal.

--DJ is just above 11000 this morning;
--Oil has gone up back over 145.00, was down in the mid 130s for several days;
--Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are totally insolvent and about to be taken over by the Federal government—this has been Mainstream for at least the past 2-3 days.

Our gas hasn’t gone up for about 2-3 weeks; as a matter of fact the one expensive station went down 4 cents the other day.

Are we in for it now or what????? Oh yeah, some reports of Israeli’s in Iraq preparing to give it to Iran’s’ nuclear facilities.

cheers, shamba

No comments: